Re: [xml-dev] XHTML 2 Working Group won't be renewed?

Jim Tivy schrieb am 08.07.2009 um 11:51:50 (-0700):

> I think SGML needs to die out as do its descendants like HTML.  The
> W3C should say in the HTML5 specification that the SGML serialization
> is deprecated. Perhaps new features do not have an SGML serialization.
> I really don't think young people are learning SGML and I never plan
> to learn it.

Maybe I'm not super-young any more, but I recently found some very
useful SGML documentation on the web. It's a nifty system, and I'm
going to learn SGML with its cool features like <D/2009-07-09/ just
for the fun of being reactionary and defying the Zeitgeist.

Here's a list of what I gathered on SGML on the Web:

* James Clark's SP processor
* "A Gentle Introduction to SGML" by C. M. Sperberg-McQueen and Lou
  Burnard - http://www.isgmlug.org/sgmlhelp/g-index.htm
* James Clark's note "Comparison of SGML and XML"
  http://www.w3.org/TR/NOTE-sgml-xml-971215
* "SGML and HTML Explained" by Martin Bryan, available from his website
  http://www.is-thought.co.uk/book/home.htm
* "From Wiki to XML, through SGML", article by Rick Jelliffe
  http://www.xml.com/lpt/a/1377
* Cover pages on SGML, many links are dead
  http://xml.coverpages.org/sgml.html

If you know of more useful high-quality SGML information, please let me
know.

Michael Ludwig