From: Evan Lenz [mailto:evan@evanlenz.net]
Sent: Wednesday, July 22, 2009 2:15 PM
To: Chuck Bearden
Cc: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
Subject: Re: [xml-dev] XML processor behavior with unused NS declarations

Hi Chuck,

Sorry to be late to this thread. It sounds like you've gotten your
answer already: don't throw the namespace declaration away. If you're
interested in reading some more discussion/background on the reasons
why, check out the "QNames in Content" section of a paper/chapter I
wrote called "Understanding XML Namespaces".[1]

Of course, it's always safe to throw away *redundant* namespace
declarations when serializing XML, provided you're not just serializing
a fragment (in which case it wouldn't be redundant anymore). For
example, if the <h2> element in your example merely repeated the
xmlns:dc declaration verbatim, it would be safe to leave that out of
your serialized result. (And Canonical XML *requires* such superfluous
namespace declarations to be removed.) You just can't make any removals
that would make a difference to the XPath data model's abstraction of
your document.

Evan Lenz
Lenz Consulting Group

[1] http://lenzconsulting.com/namespaces/#qnames_in_content