Re: [xml-dev] Pragmatic namespaces

On Aug 4, 2009, at 10:55 PM, Micah Dubinko wrote:

> On Aug 4, 2009, at 9:46 AM, Tim Bray wrote:
>
>> Why not just make a clean break with namespaces and
>> do extensibility with java-style dot-separated pathnames?
>
> OK, forgive me for being slow. Could you draw me a picture of what
> this might look like?

If I wanted to publish a little XML vocabulary for donkey genetics,
all the elements would have names like  <org.tbray.donkeys.father> and
<org.tbray.donkeys.birth-date> and so on.  And if this were being used
by IETF when we did atom, the tags would be like <org.ietf.atom.feed>
and <org.ietf.atom.entry>.  That's all.  Distributed extensibility,
and you can mix & match without asking anyone. -T