From: Tim.Bray@Sun.COM [mailto:Tim.Bray@Sun.COM]
Sent: Sunday, August 09, 2009 12:55 PM
To: Dave Pawson
Cc: Pete Cordell; 'XML Developers List'
Subject: Re: [xml-dev] Wikipedia on XML

Alternatively, we could promote the section under "meanings" of the
term" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XML#Meanings_of_the_term) to the
top of the entry & enrich it with some links.  Currently it says:

The term "XML" is used colloquially in the IT and marketing
communities to describe a variety of technologies, including:

    1. the syntax and rules defined by the W3C XML specification(s);
    2. any vocabulary (markup language) based on the XML
specification; and
    3. XML technology in general, such as the collection of XML
languages, parsers, tools and APIs applied to a particular problem
set, as in "we are using XML for information exchange".

The majority of this article concerns the first meaning. Wikipedia
contains numerous articles covering many of the specific XML languages
and technologies. See the XML Category.