Re: [xml-dev] Yahoo! Tech article on injunction against MS

On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 5:26 PM, Michael Kay<mike@saxonica.com> wrote:
>> w/o wanting to be to OTT, thats why open source licensing is
>> so very important to humanity, otherwise what is easy to
>> dismiss as silly could become very painful for you and me.
>
> Actually, I think open source is an almost orthogonal issue. I've no

its orthogonal to you and I but the effect of OSS in the real world as
a whole is compelling ... I know with the recent re licensing and re
pricing of saxon that you of all people have been thinking deeply
about what all this means ... I would even venture that perhaps you
have had the displeasure of legally pursuing someone using saxon
illegally ... unfortunately ( if its a big company)  you will lose,
the deck is stacked against you, irregardless of the type of license
... its scope that matters.

I have no problem with anyone performing work and getting paid for it,
the problem is that as individuals we have little representation ...
perhaps its time to club together .... the 70's and 80's was a time of
decline for unions but this decline was with the specific industries
that were being decimated. I  do believe that it would be fairly
straightforward to create a group of software developers in the form
of a an international union, if anyone is interested send me an email
offlist.

Jim Fuller