RE: [xml-dev] Yahoo! Tech article on injunction against MS

>> w/o wanting to be to OTT, thats why open source licensing is
>> so very important to humanity, otherwise what is easy to
>> dismiss as silly could become very painful for you and me.
>
> Actually, I think open source is an almost orthogonal issue. I've no
> problems with people developing software and earning money by selling it.
> The evil is in saying that when someone comes up with a simple idea, they
> aren't allowed to use it if someone in the past has come up with an idea
> that is deemed sufficiently similar. That is both an outrageous assault on
> personal liberty and a serious impediment to economic progress.

Having read the judgment, it is quite possible that pull-style XSLT
stylesheets infringe the patent as construed by the judge. At every stage,
every term in the patent was given a maximal interpretation.

The data content store can be marked up not just a string pool, the
metadata codes can be elements, the points can be ranges, the metadata
list data structure can be a tree, the addresses can be there is no
difference between small data structures and large, not all the data needs
to be in the pool. What seems to be necessary is that there the structures
and data separate so that the structures "address" the data.

Cheers
Rick Jelliffe