Re: [xml-dev] Balancing Open Access, Transparency & Accountability | Identity Management 2009 Conference

I've been a member of this mailing list since it was run by Peter
Murray-Rust. It appears that I will now be excluded from it because
I'm copying an email from Oasis "Open". So it goes ...

In case it's not clear from the context, I had a private reply to my
grumpy response to this posting from Carol. I replied to Carol's
perfectly civil email in an equally grumpy way and complained that the
(admittedly minor) issue was not addressed on the list. I also said
that whilst I would treat the first email as private any further
communication would be public (in the spirit of Open Access,
Transparency and Accountability).

Like one or two others on this list I'm an awkward customer who
doesn't respond well to threats. I'm not claiming this as a virtue.

It's been nice listening to you all.

______________________

John,
Your question actually prompted us to edit the web page so it will provide
more explanation on the reason behind the requirement. The change will go
live by tomorrow.

We are always open to offers of donated facilities for OASIS events. We
strive to keep event registration fees affordable, and you can imagine how
challenging that can be when you're using a hotel as a venue.

Whenever we've held events in government facilities (no matter what the
country), we have to deal with requirements similar to this. Of course, when
we hold events at donated facilities from one vendor or another, we have to
deal with issues of vendor bias or unfair visibility.

So go the challenges of planning non-profit events. We sincerely do
appreciate your feedback on this.

With regards to your remark, "From now on any communication from you or your
organisation will be treated as being in the public domain", however, I'm
afraid I must take strong exception.

My organisation hosts the xml-dev mailing list. As a user of that list, I
encourage you to familiarize yourself with the rules governing the use of
that list, specifically, "Individuals should not forward messages to OASIS
mailing lists without the permission of the original author(s)."
http://www.oasis-open.org/maillists/guidelines.php#posting

Although I am happy to post the information I've provided you to the xml-dev
list, you do *not* have the right to forward messages from me or anyone else
to the list without their permission. Warning me that you intend to forward
future messages is not the same as getting my permission. If you willfully
forward email to xml-dev without the author's permission, you can lose your
posting privileges.

I frequently receive requests to alter the OASIS mailing list archives from
people who have had their private messages forwarded without their consent.
We feel strongly about keeping our archives intact, and thus, we do not
condone forwarding private emails.

You say "it would be better if you had copied [your reply] to the list". I
can't help but observe it would have been better if you would have provided
your constructive input to us directly--and given us the chance to explain
or correct our position--before you chose to post your remarks to the list.

Carol