RE: [xml-dev] Wikipedia on XML

Elliotte is right. The DTD formally ensures that well-formedness is not the
single possible basis of acceptance of an XML instance.  Preferences for how
that is documented seem to break down when describing why that is necessary.

From: Elliotte Rusty Harold [mailto:elharo@ibiblio.org]
No, I don't think that's sufficient. FDTDs are fundamentally
integrated into the design of an XML parser. They are not optional
pieces one can ignore. Nor are they just a schema language either.
They have noticeable effects on a document's infoset even in the
absence of validation. Yes, in hindsight, this was a mistake; but it's
not one we can ignore or sweep under the rug, much as we might wish
things were otherwise. :-(