Re: [xml-dev] UTF-8 encoding problem for euro symbol

At 2009-08-22 18:37 -0700, Trehan.Pankaj wrote:
>We are facing problem encoding euro () symbol in XML body.
>We are using UTF-8 encoding and not sure what might be wrong.
>
>Here is the flow of our program:
>
>1)      C++ string is getting formatted with different currency symbols.
>2)      Above string is getting passed to XML parser.
>During XML encoding we are getting the error.
>
>I see hex value of “0x80” in the string for
>the euro symbol instead of “0xC2 80”.  Is
>this the problem? What can we do to correct it?

My mailer cannot handle the text as you have
entered it, so I cannot see what characters you are using.

The euro symbol is U+20ac which is encoded in UTF-8 in three characters:

   E2 82 AC

>I will really appreciate if someone can help us in this or give us pointers.
>
>We are seeing this problem on XP.

Instead of using UTF-8 can you simply use a numeric character reference?

   The price is €30,00

... will give you the following Unicode in your application:

   The price is 30,00

I hope this helps.

--
Interested in these classes?  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/x/i/