RE: [xml-dev] Xml Revisited

[<JT>] Names and how they are woven into the story is important.
When I re-read this part of the XML Rec I still find it a rather daunting
explanation for something so elegant and simple as XML.

As Per Version 5 of the XML Rec:
"
Each XML document has both a logical and a physical structure. Physically,
the document is composed of units called entities. An entity may refer to
other entities to cause their inclusion in the document. A document begins
in a "root" or document entity. Logically, the document is composed of
declarations, elements, comments, character references, and processing
instructions, all of which are indicated in the document by explicit markup.
The logical and physical structures MUST nest properly, as described in
4.3.2 Well-Formed Parsed Entities."

After reading this I still didn't have a clue.  To me Xml is physical - for
example a file/buffer or stream of markup - mostly what would be called the
physical layout in a database system. Or a group of files that have some
"inclusion" relationship to each other - to me that is physical.  InfoSet or
DOM is more the "logical" level, and perhaps that is what is being said -
but in the revisit leave that to InfoSet.
Perhaps it is not so much the use of the word Entity but the way it is
defined.
As well, the above paragraph does not talk about Entity definitions and
Entity usages - perhaps use of the definition/declaration language would
help.