Re: [xml-dev] Wikipedia on XML

On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 11:09, <rjelliffe@allette.com.au> wrote:

> But just imagine, if we dare, a world which where people didn't know
> everything in advance, where there was risk from failure of the technology
> and where it was the job of technology to try to cope with this! The best
> made plans, etc.

Well, as much as I agree with the sentiment, we're really here talking
about versioning, something that should be part of your organs, just
like systematic testing and syntax highlighting and an inherit dislike
for Vegemite. It's not really that versioning should creep up on you
after a while, even though I understand it's a defect in the software
development world that it isn't one of the core concepts. Maybe we
should agree on that?

> In such a world, cruise ships would have life rafts, cars would have air
> bags, and supermarkets would double-bag heavy items in case they split. Of
> course, this is such a mad vision it is unrecognizeable. XML is Titanic!
> Sorry for the sarcasm, it is probably not constructive. I feel like
> Professor Claven explaining the theoretical "3rd" dimension to the
> Simpsons.

And maybe that is spot on. So, should we play a blame-game? Education?
Corporate structures? Human thinking? :)

> When there is a breaking change to a vocabulary (and schemas), and a
> namespace change is forced, how do we minimize the impact and make it as
> undisruptive as possible to running and deployed systems?

Well, again I live in my Topic Maps bubble, but I have typed
persistent identifiers (namespaces, really) giving context to each, so
I always know if a new namespace introduced break or change any other
given structure.

In the *real* world, however, you're up creek without a paddle. And
not my problem.  *grin*

Regards,

Alex
--
 Project Wrangler, SOA, Information Alchemist, UX, RESTafarian, Topic Maps