Re: [xml-dev] What is Data?

On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 11:22 AM, Peter Hunsberger <peter.hunsberger@gmail.com> wrote:
On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 11:18 AM, Simon St.Laurent<simonstl@simonstl.com> wrote:
> Peter Hunsberger wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 7:23 AM, Costello, Roger L.<costello@mitre.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>       What is Data?
>>
>> Data is information that lacks context.
>
> Or data is information fragmented to optimize logical processing, rather
> than assembled for human comprehension.

What do humans have to do with any of this?

I think you and Simon are really in violent agreement.  "Context" is ultimately a construction of humanity. I think, for  example, RDF folks were slow to understand this.

--
Uche Ogbuji                       http://uche.ogbuji.net
Founding Partner, Zepheira        http://zepheira.com