Fwd: [xml-dev] What is Data?

Went off list, by mistake.  Uche comments on RDF  got me to ask what
he meant and it seems relevant to the general question....

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Peter Hunsberger <peter.hunsberger@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 8:45 PM
Subject: Re: [xml-dev] What is Data?
To: Uche Ogbuji <uche@ogbuji.net>

On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 6:37 PM, Uche Ogbuji<uche@ogbuji.net> wrote:

> In my opinion RDF should have been about expressing context across the
> narrative aspects of content, including XML documents (or at least XML
> without the mess that is  PSVI and all that).  Instead RDF makes mixed
> content and such a pain, and focuses too much on granular data typing, and
> relies on a basic statement model (triples) far too limited to express
> useful nuance.

The last part (triples) was my first frustration and I've definitely
run into the pain of fitting mixed content into it.  Hadn't thought
about the granular types that much, but you're right on that one too.
 Shame, really.  Wouldn't it be nice to be able to answer Rogers
original question by simply pointing at RDF and saying "anything that
fits in there" with the fit, for well, everything, being obvious....

--
Peter Hunsberger

--
Peter Hunsberger