Re: [xml-dev] XML not ideal for Big Data

Uche Ogbuji wrote:
> I read this, and I decided not to comment, because there is not much
> nice to say.
>
> Goddess knows XML has its problems but in effect this guys is saying "I
> designed an XML app using XML in a very dumb way, and the app
> disappointed me.  The fault must lie with XML".
>
> Almost every point he touches on is one that I've spent a decade
> advising clients to deal with successfully.

Fair enough, but this was in 2000 - when I think the XML hype was at its
height.  I mostly pointed to it as lessons learned, though by some more
than others!

I wouldn't say that the fault lies with XML - but I'd happily say that
the fault lies with common practices around XML, practices that I still
hear regularly in conversations about how people would like to handle
their data.

> Bottom line: use XML where it's best suited, and employ good XML and
> systems design.  I know.  Obvious, right?  :)

In 2009, to people who know a fair amount about XML - yes.  To the rest
of the world - I'm not so sure!

Thanks,
--
Simon St.Laurent