From: Rick Jelliffe [mailto:rjelliffe@allette.com.au]
Sent: Monday, September 07, 2009 1:43 AM
To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
Subject: Re: [xml-dev] XML not ideal for Big Data

Jim Tivy wrote:
> In documents, XML is dominant.  In data, standards like XBRL(accounting)
and
> HL7(Health) and other data centric markup languages have promise - I
havn't
> been swimming in the data centric lake lately - what say others?
I am not sure that we should call  XBRL an accounting language. Isn't it
more limited than that, aiming to be a system for modelling and
reporting financial summary information, e.g. to regulators or tax offices?

So it XBRL documents might not have masses of numeric data. Furthermore,
the XBRL people worked on a way of having XBRL embedded in HTML
documents, to make it workable for a wider range of adopters. If you
need to have text and formatting to make a format useful, I guess there
are limits to how "datacentric" we can call it.

Cheers
Rick Jelliffe