Re: [xml-dev] Serialization of XDM

Michael Kay wrote:
>>> There is no standard or even 'community accepted' way of
>>>
>> serializing XDM
>>

>> What is wrong with JSON for this?
>>

> Nearly everything, starting with the fact that the target user community is
> likely to want something that can be manipulated using XML tools.

I think this may be shifting the goal post. The JSON can be reimported
into the XDM-aware tools. Non-XDM tools will need extra programming to
cope with the unknown semantics and type annotation information in the
XDM-in-XML dump in any case.
> In fact, what is right with JSON for this?

It has sequences (arrays) which was the problem being complained of. It
can be exported into XDM and imported back, with minimal conventions. It
has explicit types.

>> The XPath2 data model is a system for *converting* XML into
>> programming language types, or for operating on a kind of XSD
>> PSVI.
>>

> That's not how I would define it (and it's not how the spec defines it). In
> fact, I don't really see where conversion into "programming language types"
> comes into it at all.

s/system for/part of a system for/

XML Infoset != XDM. Therefore a conversion is needed. Hence XSD and
XSLT2 (not exhausting all their serried splendours by saying they are
limited to this conversion.)

Cheers
Rick