RE: [xml-dev] Serialization of XDM - Use cases / Proposal

The first question I have in mind is how do we parse this.  This one example of Michaels has me a little confused:

    <xsl:sequence select="xs:positiveInteger('5')"/>

This is the proposal for how to represent a typed atomic value.    This is pretty obscure to my novice eyes.  Reading this I wouldn't guess off hand that this means "Atomic value, type xs:positiveInteger, text value '5'".

Well, I think it's merit is that it's familiar syntax and semantics for anyone who knows XSLT 2.0 or wants to go and read the spec. For many purposes, however, a more convenient syntax would be <atomicValue value="5" type="xs:positiveInteger"/>.

That then leads me to the final question.  Suppose we transform this serialized form "almost an xslt" format, into "real xslt" format, then
run a real XSLT 2.0 parser on it.  How to get the resulting values out ?

Please bear with me as I'm very much a novice at XSLT ... maybe the answer is "obvious".
XSLT 2.0 claims that the result of an XSLT transformation can be a 'set of result trees'.
Thats an XDM sequence . (???)

No: XQuery can produce any XDM sequence as output (well, almost any - it can't for example generate unparsed entities); but XSLT can only produce a set of document nodes. You can write an xsl:function to produce any XDM sequence as its result, but you would need a processor-specific way of invoking the function and capturing its result in the external environment.

Incidentally, I was reminded of this project in some work with a client yesterday. They are running MarkLogic queries and feeding the result into Saxon, currently via lexical XML (it has to be serialized because it's on a different machine). In this kind of scenario it would be nice to transfer a typed document, but we really don't want a five-fold increase in document size over the lexical XML. Size does matter.