RE: [xml-dev] Shredding XML

Interesting post, but I am not sure that "now is the time to talk of many
things".

Let me try to focus:

Proper software execution comes from the choice of appropriate
actions/technologies to match the driving requirements.  But more
importantly, the greatest Wisdom, is to frame the driving requirements
correctly before "going off half cocked" or doing something that is
unnecessary and unwarranted.

So lets start by framing the requirements again:

Fraser Gofin wrote:

"
The basics are we receive XML messages from an external trading partner and
process those messages, enriching and routing to a number of internal
subscriber applications. One of these applications is MI and the deal here
is that they want the data to been put into a relational database so that
they can create a number of interfaces 'files' which are sent to still more
applications.
"

OR

"
I am mainly interested in the process of LOADING XML data to a database
rather than extracting (at least for the purposes of this discussion).
"

It is possible that the "mother persistent application datamodel" is
contained in the relational database in all its normalized glory.  If so,
then, "processing the messages" is simply a "data import" operation.  So the
question is, how do I get XML X* to tables T*.  It would strike me that lots
of people are doing this.  Are there common techniques and technologies for
doing this import?

Fraser, is that a proper framing of the question/requirements?

Jim