Re: [xml-dev] Shredding XML

> It is possible that the "mother persistent application datamodel" is
> contained in the relational database in all its normalized glory.  If so,
> then, "processing the messages" is simply a "data import" operation.  So the
> question is, how do I get XML X* to tables T*.  It would strike me that lots
> of people are doing this.  Are there common techniques and technologies for
> doing this import?

SAX parse XML into Hibernate pojos, or sometimes its easier to parse
into plain old pojos the mirror the XML structure more closely (to
avoid too much complexity in the SAX parser) and then have another
class that copies the data into the Hibernate pojos.

If you need to get the XML back out again, then you'll need a custom
XML writer (serialiser) to go over the pojos and create the XML (and
possibly another class to copy the data in the other direction)

That's quite a lot or work if the XML is large and varied, and every
time the XML changes there are quite a few code changes needed, but
its not too bad.. I much prefer doing this to using data binding.

--
Andrew Welch
http://andrewjwelch.com