Re: [xml-dev] XML spec and XSD

At 11:12 AM 11/7/2009, you wrote:
>I am asking only for a simple reference in the XML spec, pointing to
>the XSD spec and ideally saying somewhere in the XML spec (2.0
>perhaps), that XSD is another validation technology from W3C similar
>to DTD.
>I still cannot think, why anybody can disagree to this. XSD and DTD
>both belong to W3C, and both are W3C recommendations, so I don't think
>why this simple modification to XML spec cannot take place.

Why and where do you stop? RelaxNG is another standard for providing
validation and has a different/additional set of capabilities that
are missing in both schema and DTD validation.

I think you may have missed a subtle point when I read: 'uncountable
XML instances been validated by XSD every day'. Sounds like your
dealing with data/messages, Len mentioned documents (tech manuals and
such). The history of XML is SGML and the use of DTDs. DTDs and SGML
were initially intended for textual manual with little to know data
types. A DTD is powerful enough to handle that requirement very well
without overly complicating the specification of the document
content. Yes DTD didn't provide everything that everyone might need,
Schema provides more capability, but still relationships between
elements and part of a document are not possible to validate with a
DTD or Schema. Just like picking a programming language you are free
to pick the validation method you want to use.

I guess I'm confused at why a reference is needed. Ok, yeah there are
new and different ways of providing the validation for which v1 of
the XML standard were developed. Would you have the standard for C
point a programmer to Java, C#, etc just because they are newer and
provide the same/similar/better functionality?

..dan
Danny Vint

Panoramic Photography
http://www.dvint.com