Re: [xml-dev] XML's place in the world

Peter Hunsberger wrote:
> The one place I still see a need for such types of XML is when you're
> doing cross domain integration and signatures, encryption,
> authentication, etc. become part of the exchange process.  JSON
> doesn't seem to have all the pieces lined up to push XML (SOAP or
> otherwise) out of this space (yet)?

That's an excellent point, especially on the data interchange front.
Much of that infrastructure is tightly bound to XML as well, so isn't
easily replaced.

> There's a lot of capability that has been built around XML that still
> needs to be replicated in the other spaces so I think it would be
> premature to declare any kind of overwhelming trend.  At this point I
> perceive what is going on as more as people reacting to the flaws in
> the current XML world and testing out alternate strategies to see if
> they do any better.  Whether these alternate strategies will, in the
> long run, grow to have as many capabilities (and flaws) as XML remains
> to be seen?

Fair enough.  I think another way of putting it is that XML is slowly
losing its status as the default format in fields where it once seemed
(rightly or wrongly) the obvious answer.

Simon St.Laurent