[xml-dev] XSD Schema type derived by restriction problem

Hi all,

This seemed like a good case to ask the experts about.

I'm working with a schema that defines a type by restricting the simple
dateTime type. Our mapping rules (based on the JAX-RPC spec) map this to the
class of the parent type (in this case, java.util.Calendar) rather than
creating a new class to represent the derived type. Consequently, when we
generate an XML message we specify that this element is of
xsi:type="xs:dateTime" (that is, the parent type).

However, when we do that, the schema validator flags the XML as invalid: it
cites an invalid QName at the xsi:type="xs:dateTime" attribute.

It makes sense to me that if the derived type is valid, the parent type should
also be valid: after all, any instance of the derived type will also be of the
parent type by polymorphism. Is that the case in the XML Schema spec? If so,
we should change our schema validator so that it accepts the parent as well as
the child in this situation. If not, I'm not sure how we can implement JAX-RPC
as specified.

Thanks for your insight!

Best regards,
Chris Loschen