Re: [xml-dev] Re: XML Zebra, a path-based tool for generating difffingerprints for XML Schemas

Hi Juerg.  Comments below.

On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 20:43:07 -0000, DMS Lists <lists@d-m-s.co.nz> wrote:

> Hi Tony, What you propose (keeping instead of pruning) makes sense.
> I conclude the fingerprint file can be created for a single schema
> version also, without the need for 'diffing' it against a newer minor
> version?

Exactly.  While I expect diffs to be the major use case, there are
definitely use cases like yours which are things that can be done with a
single fingerprint file.

> As far as I remember, Ken Holman's stylesheets are for UBL purposes,
> requiring all valid UBL XPaths which are included in Ken's solution.

I believe Ken knows how to generate paths for arbitrary Schemas, but I
guess he can answer that himself.

> I however was thinking of a more generic solution suitable for non-UBL
> contexts, like our approach at the New Zealand Ministry of Education,
> where at present we don't have all valid XPaths for our custom,
> UBL-NDR-LIKE schemas.

Either way, you could certainly derive the stylesheets you want from the
fingerprint XML file that XML Zebra produces.

Cheers, Tony.
Anthony B. Coates
Director and CTO
Londata Ltd
UK: +44 (20) 8816 7700, US: +1 (239) 344 7700
Mobile/Cell: +44 (79) 0543 9026
Data standards participant: genericode, ISO 20022 (ISO 15022 XML),