Terminology: Maximum Constraint? Maximal Constraint? StrongestConstraint? Tightest Constraint?

Hi Folks,

I am seeking the correct (or best) terminology.

Suppose that in my business I need to do things with person last names. That manifests in a requirement for a <last-name> element. So, I create an XML Schema that declares a last-name element, e.g.,

      <element name="last-name" type="string" />

But, that declaration is not acceptable. I do not want the value of <last-name> to be any unbounded string. I want to constrain the value of <last-name>.

I consult the experts and they inform that, for my business, last names should not be longer than 26 characters, and they should only consist of the characters a-z, A-Z, hyphen, and apostrophe.

So, here is how I declare <last-name>:

      <element name="last-name">
          <simpleType>
              <restriction base="string">
                  <maxLength value="26" />
                  <pattern value="[a-zA-Z'-]+" />
              </restriction>
          </simpleType>
      </element>

Thus, rather than allowing the value of <last-name> to be any string, I have restricted the values. I restricted <last-name> to the greatest extent possible. That is, if I were to set maxLength to less than 26, to, say, 25, then my element declaration would reject some legitimate last name values. Or, if I were to omit, say, the apostrophe from the pattern facet then some legitimate values would be rejected.

Okay, now to my terminology questions.

QUESTION #1

I constrained <last-name> to the greatest extent possible, such that any tighter constraints would break rules of my business. What is the correct (or best) term for "the greatest extent possible?" How would you fill in this blank?

      ________ constraint

Here are some terms that came to mind:

      Maximum constraint
      Maximal constraint
      Tightest constraint
      Strongest constraint

Which is the correct (or best) term: maximum, maximal, tightest, or strongest? Or, perhaps there's another term that I haven't considered?

QUESTION #2

My XML Schema declaration expresses the limitations on the value of this element:

      <last-name>____________</last-name>

What is the correct (or best) term for "limitations?" How would you fill in this blank?

      ________ on the value

Here are some terms that came to mind:

      Constraints on the value
      Restrictions on the value
      Limitations on the value

Which is the correct (or best) term: constraints, restrictions, or limitations? Or, perhaps there's another term that I haven't considered?

QUESTION #3

Are constraints *applied* to elements? Or, are constraints *imposed* on elements? How would you fill in the blank?

      ________ constraints

Here are some terms that came to mind:

      Apply constraints
      Impose constraints

Which is the correct (or best) term: apply or impose? Or, perhaps there's another term that I haven't considered?

/Roger