element markup in attributes

I hesitate a bit in raising questions about HTML5 here, mostly because
of concerns that the violence of that conversation will enter the
discussion here.  Nonetheless, this list is the best place I know of to
discuss markup best practices, and seems like the right place to ask the

The iframe element has always been a tricky critter, but in HTML5 it's
picked up a srcdoc attribute which "gives the content of the page that
the nested browsing context is to contain."  This allows the
construction of short documents in an iframe context without requiring a
separate HTTP request through the src attribute.

Details can be found here:

So what does this look like? Here are three examples from those specs.

<iframe seamless sandbox="allow-same-origin" srcdoc="<p>did you get a
cover picture yet?"></iframe>

<iframe seamless sandbox="allow-same-origin" srcdoc="<p>Yeah, you can
see it <a href=&quot;/gallery?mode=cover&amp;amp;page=1&quot;>in my

<iframe seamless sandbox="allow-same-origin" srcdoc="<p>hey that's
earl's table.

What do folks think?  Is this reasonable, given the use case, or is this
pushing too hard on attributes and escaping?

I wonder if just letting iframe have child content would make more
sense, but I suspect that raises more compatibility problems with older

Simon St.Laurent