Re: [xml-dev] To namespace or not to Namespace ....

Hi Liam,

Liam R E Quin schrieb am 07.04.2010 um 13:28:32 (-0400):
> On Wed, 2010-04-07 at 16:13 +0100, Andrew Welch wrote:
>
> > Unprefixed namespaced xml can be a pain, but prefixed xml is no
> > problem at all.
>
> I think this very much depends on the environment. Every week I get
> asked, for example, how to match namespaced nodes in XPath 1.0 from
> PHP; the best answer there usually turns out to be things like
>     /*[name() = 'document']/*[name() = 'chapter']/*[name() = 'title']
> (the xPath implementation most widely used with php doesn't seem to
> have a local-name() function).

Next time you can point them to XML::LibXML, which is the standard XML
extension for PHP and works just fine.

http://de.php.net/dom
http://de.php.net/xsl

Regarding your example, in particular:

http://de.php.net/manual/en/class.domxpath.php

> Pretty much every day I encounter people banging their heads against a
> wall (or a sturdy person) asking why their XPath xpressions don't
> match; I also occasionally hear from people who abandonded XML
> processing and moved to using JSON or some other technology, or who
> abandoned XPath or XSLT or XQuery, and went back to using Java and the
> DOM API, because they couldn't figure it out.

Okay, but honestly, don't worry: Some of those people will abandon other
productivity stuff for similar reasons, and find other walls to bang
their head against, and pretty much everywhere :-)

--
Michael Ludwig