Re: [xml-dev] To namespace or not to Namespace ....

Do have a look at the XML-Shema language. Why are they in a namespace?
For a very good reason -- if they were non-namespaced how would one
identify their elements from any other content? Imagine what a mess
that would be.

Namespace prefixes give "color" to content, making it visible and
distinguishable.

So, the answer is simple: Namespaces are necessary except for the most
trivial examples.

--
Cheers,
Dimitre Novatchev

On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 3:56 PM, David <dlee@calldei.com> wrote:
> I'm embarking on a project to create a schema (or more likely a collection
> of schema(i?) ) to model a dataset.
> This data is currently represented in a relational database as
> semi-normalized in about 20 tables.
> The underlying data is prety complex, but not in terms of
> attributes/elements but rather some hidden 'business knowledge' which is
> implied by
> fields with coded values and things like shared "string pools".
>
> The end result of this schema will be to be able to re-represent this data
> as XML for mainly internal use, although may be published in some form in
> the future
> (only to partners, not the general public).
>
> This is one of a handful of content sets that are already in XML or are
> already translated to XML, its the 'last dog' of enterprise business data to
> be translated to XML.
>
> Up until now we've never used namespaces. We've been blissfully unaffected
> by not using namespaces.   XQuery and XSLT and pure Java programs have had
> no problem with having no namespaces.   The data is typically in "silos" and
> while sometimes referenced together, is not of the "module" sort intended to
> be embedded in other XML documents, but rather fully standalone data (which
> may reference each other with loose couplings).
>
> I think I know the main reasons to use namespaces, and tons of reasons to
> not to ...
> Equally  confused by Balisage's opening talk last year that (pardon the
> paraphrase)
> "Best Practices for XML"
> 1) "Always use Namespaces:"
> N) "Never use Namespaces" ...
>
> So whats a poor XML geek to do ?
>
> Any *practical* suggestions ?
>

> --
> -------------------------
> David A. Lee
> dlee@calldei.com
> http://www.calldei.com
> http://www.xmlsh.org

Cheers,
Dimitre Novatchev
Never fight an inanimate object
you're doing is work or play
I enjoy the massacre of ads. This sentence will slaughter ads without
a messy bloodbath.