Re: [xml-dev] RE: Declarative programming requires a different mindset

Greg Hunt <greg@firmansyah.com> writes:

> This list seems to have gone the way I remember the patterns mailing lists going.  Apart from
> announcements, the signal to noise ratio of this list is declining sharply and on-topic,
> non-announcement messages are now days apart.
>
> Perhaps this particular thread ought to be elsewhere?  It stopped being primarily about XML (if it
> ever was) some time ago.

The notion of basing a program on an XML document type is related to
declarative programming, so I think the thread is on topic. Declarative
programming is fundamental to XML and generalized markup.

For example, the WWW platform is based on declarative programming, where
instead of programmers needing to write code that places characters at
specific coordinates, there is an XML document type that describes
the structure of the page, such that the most powerful constructs in the
program are declarative constructs in an HTML document.

As for describing mappings between input and output, that seems closer
to a description of functional programming than declarative
programming.

Kendall