XProc for the XSLT developer

As a hardcore XSLT fan I'm not too excited about XProc, maybe I'm
missing something. At first glance it looks like it's main purpose is
to express programming instructions or expressions (called steps) as
XML, while in XPath based languages you use functions (built-in, local
or extension) and operators.

"This specification describes the syntax and semantics of XProc: An
XML Pipeline Language, a language for describing operations to be
performed on XML documents."

It's sounds like the idea is to 'describe' a program instead of
actually write one, so you end up with a document that's possibly
easier to read.

"An XML Pipeline specifies a sequence of operations to be performed on
a collection of XML input documents. Pipelines take zero or more XML
documents as their input and produce zero or more XML documents as
their output."

The same can be acomplished with XSLT or XQuery.

--
Max