Call for participation: open source gXML in Java

Hey, folks!

We're opening the source of an XML infrastructure project, called
gXML.  We're looking to contribute the project to the Apache
foundation, for incubation, and to do so we'd like to drum up more
interest in the community.  xml-dev seems the likely place to start.
:-)

We're looking for folks who are interested in building "bridges" and
"processors," and who can argue about the integrity of the API, which
is based on the XQuery 1.0 and XPath 2.0 Data Model (XDM).  The code
currently includes the API, three bridges (DOM, AxiOM, and custom) plus
tools for building and testing bridges, and five processors (XPath,
Conversion, Input/Output, Schema Parsing, Schema Validation).  Work
remains to be done on all of this code, and the documentation, and
there are opportunities for bridges supporting additional tree models
and additional processors.

It requires Java 1.5, because it makes extensive use of generics in
order to use the Bridge (or Handle/Body) pattern (rather than a
wrapper).  If a bridge exists for a tree model, a processor written to
the gXML/XDM API can use that tree model.  The core emphasizes
immutability in processing.  By introducing the (very thin!) layer of
indirection in the form of a bridge, it enables a number of new
technologies, and opens a lot of potentially exciting possibilities for
existing technologies.

Interested?  We'll be at Balisage in August.  Interested in being
involved with the code, and want more information?  Drop a line ....

Amy!
--
Amelia A. Lewis                    amyzing {at} talsever.com
It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students that