Schematron - getting attribute/element values in reports

I'm looking at schematron to do validation of XML documents in an XML
based messaging protocol.
One thing I would like to do is to extract the *value* of a failing
attribute or node.
I found the <name> element and it works fine at extracting the name of
nodes (elements or attributes) but nothing to get the value.

E.g. suppose I have an offending fragment

<message id="1234"> ... some message </message>

And a schematron rule like

<pattern name="Must have good messages">
<rule context="message">
<assert test="xs:integer(@id) lt 100">Messages must be smaller then 100,
your message ID was: {WHAT DO I PUT HERE?} </assert>

Is there any way to do "{WHAT DO I PUT HERE?}" ?

I'd like to put "1234"  there ... but cant find a way using schematron.

Thanks for any suggestions.

David A. Lee