Re: [xml-dev] ISO Schematron beginners question: including multiple patterns

You aren't missing anything.

The way <sch:include> is designed, the entire contents of the
referenced XML file are incorporated at the point, thus because it is
a standalone XML file it can be only a single element.

Schematron is currently under revision.  One possible suggestion you
could make would be to add some semantics such that, perhaps, if the
<sch:include href=""> points to a document whose document element is
<sch:include> (without href=) then that document element is
interpreted as a wrapper and the contents are then "unwrapped" when
included where referenced.

Just something that has come to mind ... I haven't suggested it
myself.  But then I think your requirement would be met in the
revised specification.

I hope this is helpful.

--
XSLT/XQuery training:   after http://XMLPrague.cz 2011-03-28/04-01