The XML argument

Hi Folks,

Why is XML markup added to textual computer data?

I constructed an argument to answer that question. I start with basic concepts. Each step builds on top of previous steps.  Here is the argument:

1.  Computer data is anything of interest that can be digitally encoded.

2.  Textual computer data is computer data composed of digitally encoded characters.

3.  Structure is patterns.

4.  Structure facilitates processing of data by computer programs.

5.  XML markup is textual computer data conforming to a prescribed structure.

6.  Adding XML markup to textual computer data gives it structure.

7.  XML markup is added to textual computer data to facilitate its processing by computer programs.

Am I missing steps? Does each step logically follow from the preceding steps? Are the steps rigorous?

I would like to gradually add more steps, ultimately addressing the most complex issues of data interoperability. For that I need a strong foundation. Would you help me build a strong foundation please?

/Roger