Subject: [xml-dev] Creating a valid document, schema driven.
From: David <dlee@calldei.com>
Date: Thu, June 17, 2010 8:26 am
To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org

Suppose in my Left Hand I have a Schema (Any format, DTD, XSD , RNG ...
I dont care because presumably I can convert to the right format
beforehand).
And in my Right Hand I am constructing an XML document using some
document creation library (ideally in Java).

At any given node, I should presumably know "where I'm at" in the
output, and also in the schema.
I would like to inspect the correct schema node at this point and given
some magic rules I may have (In my Other Left Hand) pick one of the
allowable valid set of attributes and nodes and write them (Using
values from my Other Right Hand).

I have seen this done in some form in varous GUI tools. For example
this is a form of content completion or auto-suggest.
Its also a form of "Generate an example XML from a Schema".

What I am missing, and would love suggestions, is what library or
combination of libraries would make this easiest or facilitate this.
I belive I need

* A library for constructing XML which lets me "know where I'm at" in
some fashion (xpath?)
*** Or do I have to manually keep track of this somehow ?

* A library for reading a schema and accessing its contents
** Must be able to be queried so that I can have a list of valid
nodes/attributes at any 'point'
** Must be able to be queried to find that 'point' given 'where I'm At'
in the output generation.

Any suggestions or ideas on tools or approaches that together might most
easily be used to accomplish this ?

I can provide more detail about what I'm trying to do if desired but I
suggest the general question is simpler (less constraining).
Thanks for any ideas !

--
David A. Lee