RE: [xml-dev] hackable xml

XForms makes writing UI for this type of thing trivial.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<?xml-stylesheet href="/xsltforms/xsltforms.xsl" type="text/xsl"?>
      xmlns:xf="http://www.w3.org/2002/xforms";
      xmlns:s="http://somecomp.com";>
  <head>
    <title>Config</title>
    <model xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2002/xforms";>
      <xf:instance src="config.xml" />
      <xf:submission resource="config.xml" method="put" id="save" />
    </model>
  </head>
    <group xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2002/xforms";>
      <input ref="s:foo">
        <label>Foo: </label>
      </input>
      <submit submission='save'>
        <label>Save</label>
      </submit>
    </group>

A key observation of XForms is relevant here: the use of the ref attribute.  It indicates an XPath location path to a nodeset, whose first node is then accessed.  In most cases, it's interpreted as the leaf-node simpleType value.

Although you said you don't want a dependency on an API, it's not possible to avoid one.  The Groovy example uses an XmlParser, which is an API.

I won't sing the praises of JDOM here, other than to say I believe it's the most succinct imperative XML API I've seen, and it's quite stable.

While it would be nice if it offered JDK 1.5 generics, we've written JDOMUtil, a single file of enhancements offered as static methods provides both the "ref" power of XForms and the type-safe collections of JDK 1.5.  Here's a sample showing use of a few such utilities:

   List<Element> rootPartitions = JDOMUtil.selectElements( rootElement, "/ContentStore/roots/root" );
and
   setEnableCount(JDOMUtil.parseBoolean(JDOMUtil.ref(root, "/ContentStore/enableCount", "false"));

So the foo config example could be written like this:

  Document config = JDOMUtil.parse(new File("file.xml"));
  JDOMUtil.setRef(root, "/config/foo", "xyz");

If you insist on using namespaces, use the version with the trailing list of namespaces arg:
   JDOMUtil.setRef(root, "/s:config/s:foo", "xyz", Namespace.getNamespace("s", "http://somecomp.com";));

Leigh.