Getting XSD annotation from matched element

Does anyone know, if in any XSLT or XQuery (or even Java)
library/project/implementation if there is the following capibility.

When using a Schema Aware transformation (or in java say a Schema Aware
parser).
Given a matched node (in XSLT say a <template match="...">  or in XQuery
or XSLT a variable referencing a node),
is there any method, either standard or proprietary, which can return
the annotation element from the XSD corresponding to that node ?

The use case of this is I'd like to embed annotations in XSD and use
them to control a transformation, and am not sure what tools I'm going
to have to do to accomplish this.

Thanks for any suggestions on where to look.

--
David A. Lee
dlee@calldei.com