RE: [xml-dev] A little experiment to compare external entities andXInclude

I wrote:

>> 2. <xi:include> elements are resolved by the XML parser, correct?

And Ken Holman responded:

> I wouldn't think so.  An XML processor is defined by the XML
> specification and XInclude is a supplemental specification that isn't
> part of the definition of XML.  I would expect an XInclude processor
> (if such exist ... I haven't had to look for one) would incorporate
> an XML processor and would give you what you want.

I was under the impression that XInclude occurred within the XML parser based on this statement that I read on another list:

   "... that gets expanded during xml parsing (xinclude, ...)"

The statement is false?

I wrote:

>> 6. What XML parsers support XInclude?

And Michael Glavassevich responded:

> Both Xerces-J and Xerces-C++ have support for XInclude.

Michael, do you mean that XInclude in built _within_ the Xerces-J and Xerces-C++ XML parsers? Or, do you mean that the Xerces-J and Xerces-C++ XML parsers are _supplemented_ (extended) with XInclude?

/Roger