RE: [xml-dev] A little experiment to compare external entities and XInclude

At 2010-08-16 11:16 -0400, Costello, Roger L. wrote:
>I wrote:
>
> >> 2. <xi:include> elements are resolved by the XML parser, correct?
>
>And Ken Holman responded:
>
> > I wouldn't think so.  An XML processor is defined by the XML
> > specification and XInclude is a supplemental specification that isn't
> > part of the definition of XML.  I would expect an XInclude processor
> > (if such exist ... I haven't had to look for one) would incorporate
> > an XML processor and would give you what you want.
>
>I was under the impression that XInclude occurred within the XML
>parser based on this statement that I read on another list:
>
>    "... that gets expanded during xml parsing (xinclude, ...)"
>
>The statement is false?

It is true for an XInclude processor.

It is false for an XML processor that implements only the XML specification.

Note Michael's wording:

> > Both Xerces-J and Xerces-C++ have support for XInclude.

They have chosen to support XInclude within their product.  "Have
support for" doesn't imply that XInclude is a mandatory aspect of XML
they are obliged to implement.

>Michael, do you mean that XInclude in built _within_ the Xerces-J
>and Xerces-C++ XML parsers? Or, do you mean that the Xerces-J and
>Xerces-C++ XML parsers are _supplemented_ (extended) with XInclude?

Since the XML Specification does not include XInclude, would that not
imply that XInclude is a supplement to an XML processor?

--
XSLT/XQuery training:   after http://XMLPrague.cz 2011-03-28/04-01
Vote for your XML training:   http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/x/i/