RE: [xml-dev] RE: Data Interoperability ... Why do some XMLvocabularies specify meaning + behavior whereas others specify only meaning?

David Carlisle wrote:

> It would have been a disaster if every XML process had had to use
> whichever XML parser came first, or had to use the DOM for example.

Thanks David. I realize that I was not clear on this.

The XML Processor is a perfect example of my thesis. The class of XML Processors is the Prime App for XML. At the very heart of XML interoperability is the XML Processor. Xerces-J, Xerces-C++, and Expat are instantiations of the Prime App. One XML Processor may be selected over another because it is smaller or faster or is implemented in a particular programming language. But they all behave the same way (at least theoretically).

Here's another example: For (X)HTML the Prime App is the class of Web browsers. Firefox and IE are instantiations of the Prime App.

/Roger