Re: [xml-dev] Holographic XML

A set of all XML documents is a subset of all unicode strings and therefore
the number of all possible XML documents is a countable. Of course, you can
represent any number of higher dimensional objects using XML.

XML structures can be addressed with XPath. XPath model is essentially two-
dimensional, as it has orthogonal depth and breadth dimensions. Depth is the
nesting of elements and breadth is the number of siblings. In XPath, each
element can be addressed with two coordinates, the first being the element
path (/document/book/title/chapter), the second being the position ([5])

I think in his original post, Roger is comparing the ways XML and holographic
memory is used to encode information. Holographic memory uses some physical
properties of a (three-dimensional, continuous in non-quantum approximation)
medium to encode (countable) memory state. Question he poses is whether XML
can be upgraded from two dimensional to three dimensional to enhance packing
of information. I think this question would only make sense if XML was itself
a continuous medium. Since it's not, you can only modify how you encode your
information using XML elements.

--
Nicholas Sushkin, Senior Software Engineer, Manager of IT Operations
Open Finance Aggregation eXchange <http://www.aggex.com>

smime.p7s