Re: [xml-dev] Holographic XML

> XML structures can be addressed with XPath. XPath model is essentially two-
> dimensional, as it has orthogonal depth and breadth dimensions.

Correct.

> Depth is the
> nesting of elements

Correct.

> and breadth is the number of siblings.

Wrong.

You can easily find more than one element at a given depth and having
the same number of (total, preceding or following) siblings.

One way to express the breadth dimension correctly is :

  count(preceding::node())

Do note: this is the count of *all preceding nodes*, not just the
count of all preceding siblings.

> In XPath, each
> element can be addressed with two coordinates, the first being the element
> path (/document/book/title/chapter), the second being the position ([5])

Just the pair:

(count(ancestor::node()), count(preceding::node()))

--
Cheers,
Dimitre Novatchev