Re: [xml-dev] Extracting Schema from an element instance while parsing.

David <dlee@calldei.com> wrote on 09/14/2010 08:19:42 PM:

>   Great idea about using a parallel ValidatorHandler ... although
> to-date I've not gotten standalone validation to work without parsing ...
> I'm sure its some magic trick with setting properties ...
>
> Probably just me but I've found over the 10 years of working with the
> standard Java API's for XML, nearly impossible to
> figure out what the magic settings are to do anything but the most basic
> things.
> And when I do I pour crazy-glue on it and encase it diamond.
> Everything is hidden in optional feature or property "defined by the
> implementation" ...
> I know its supposed to be an 'open api' so nothing about actual
> implementations are documented,
> but it so "open" I stare though it and see stars :)
>
> The same properties I set for parsing dont work for validation but I
> cant find any references to what to use in their place ...

If you're referring to Xerces' specific properties I agree that the documentation could be better. Most of it was written in a time period where JAXP was just the parser APIs and was never updated as JAXP evolved to clarify which of those properties apply to the newer APIs. The more obvious ones which are XML schema specific should probably all be supported by the ValidatorHandler though.

> David A. Lee
> dlee@calldei.com
> http://www.xmlsh.org

Thanks.