XML namespaces 1.1 in XML 1.0 docs (Was:Re: [xml-dev] My report on experiments with unused namespaces)

Original Message From: "David Carlisle"

> you can undefine prefixes in xml namespaces 1.1 (if you are using that:-)
> but even there you can't define a prefix to be the default namespace
> xmlns:foo="" means that <foo:bar/> is not wellformed, not that bar is in
> the default namespace.

That reminds me of a question I have... Can you apply XML namespaces 1.1 to
XML 1.0 documents?

The title of the names document is "Namespaces in XML 1.1", but I've never
been sure whether to read that as "(Namespaces in XML) 1.1" or "Namespaces
in (XML 1.1)".

7 Conformance of Documents, says, "This specification applies to XML 1.1
documents." so I assume it is the latter.

If so, is there any rationale for making the xmlns:foo="" syntax applicable
to XML 1.0 documents?

Thanks,

Pete Cordell
Codalogic Ltd
Interface XML to C++ the easy way using XML C++
data binding to convert XSD schemas to C++ classes.
Visit http://codalogic.com/lmx/ or http://www.xml2cpp.com
for more info