Re: [xml-dev] My report on experiments with unused namespaces

Original Message From: "David Carlisle"

> With more teeth is the policy that w3c specs (only) following that vote
> explicitly say that they don't associate any meaning to relative namespace
> uris.

Thanks David.

I'm not quite sure what the implications of "they don't associate any
meaning" is on specs.  I assume it means use of relative URIs is out of
scope.

Also, in http://www.w3.org/2000/09/xppa 4.2 Proposal says:

    Proposed: to deprecate the use of relative URI references in
    namespace declarations; that is: to say that while they conform
    to the Namespace Recommendation of January 1999, later
    specifications such as DOM, XPath, etc. will define no
    interpretation for them.

So is Namespaces 2nd Ed a later specification than "Namespace Recommendation
of January 1999" or does it share the 'priority date' of the 1st Ed?

I think DOM v1.0 preceded the note and XPath 1.0 was after.  Namespaces in
XML 1.1 has the note about deprecation, but does not explicitly decalre them
illegal.  So is Namespaces 1.1 the 'same spec' as Namespace 1.0 1st Ed?

Pete Cordell
Codalogic Ltd
Interface XML to C++ the easy way using XML C++
data binding to convert XSD schemas to C++ classes.
Visit http://codalogic.com/lmx/ or http://www.xml2cpp.com
for more info