Re: [xml-dev] Assembly-language XML parser

Thanks for the note, Rick.

But on the topic of points for bravery, we're now trying
to avoid that, by hiding the low-level parallel bit
stream and SIMD programming details using compiler
technology.   Our goal is to broaden the applicability
of the techniques well beyond XML.

This approach is the crux of our Parabix 2 effort.  At
Balisage '09 we presented the basic bistream equations
and concepts.   Subsequently, we have developed a
high-level Python prototyping technique and our first
prototype compiler, completed this summer.

Of course, this is still a research effort and the XML
community may be more interested in practical parsers.
On that note, we have now switched emphasis from development
of a standalone Parabix parser to development of
accelerated versions of existing tools (Xerces, Saxon, etc.).

To check out our research code and xmlwf sample application
(for DTDless XML), use the following steps (Linux).

(1) svn co http://parabix.costar.sfu.ca/svn/proto
(2) Change to the parabix2 prototype directory and compile
    to generate C code.
cd proto/parabix2
make
(3) Change to the src subdirectory and compile the C code.
cd src
make

You'll need an SSE 4.1 machine to run the xmlwf application.

(4) Test the application against the W3C XML conformance
suite (DTDless subset).
make test

Robert D. Cameron, Ph.D
Professor of Computing Science