Re: [xml-dev] Venetian Blinds vs Garden of Eden patterns for industrystandards XML Schemas

On 28/10/2010 21:38, Pete Cordell wrote:

> I think you have to use namespaces to distinguish these two types of
> date. (You could make the above follow the Garden of Eden pattern if you
> like.)

If you need to use namespaces to distinguish those cases then you need
to put them in different namespaces (and so pay some syntactic ovehead
in namespace declarations in the instance) But as you have shown it is
possible to put them in the same namespace and distinguish by context.

You've chosen to put them both in no-namepsace which is fine but if you
were doing that I'd put the parent elements in no namespace as well.

elementFormDefault is really just a wart in XSD and I can't see any
reason why it would ever be set to anything other than qualifiesd

David