Re: [xml-dev] Re: why whitespace counts as a node?

I think the issue of treating white-spaces in XML documents get's
interesting when XML documents are validated by XML schema's.

Here are the various cases I can think of (with significance to white-spaces) :

1) If the XML document is parsed by a SAX parser, then the call-back
method "characters" (which get's notification of character data) will
get all the characters in character data (including the white spaces).

When XML documents are parsed by a DOM parser, text nodes still
contains all white-space contents.

Therefore XML parsing preserves white-space contents in the infoset
instance the parsing process produces. I think this is desirable in
plain XML parsing process, since applications may want to do something
with white-spaces too.

2) Things get little interesting when XML documents are validated by
say XML schema documents. Here are few examples:

a)
<x>
   100
</x>

Here the content of element "x" is numeric, but there are boundary
white-spaces around the numeric value 100.

This will be successfully validated by the following XML schema fragment,

<xs:element name="x" type="xs:integer" />

b)
<x>
   hello world
</x>

Here there are boundary white-spaces within element "x".

c)
<x>hello world</x>

Here there are no boundary white-spaces within "x".

The following XML schema fragment,

<xs:element name="x">
    <xs:simpleType>
	 <xs:restriction base="xs:string">
	      <xs:maxLength value="11" />
	 </xs:restriction>
    </xs:simpleType>
</xs:element>

would report XML document (b) as invalid while (c) as valid. This is
because with the schema type xs:string, white-space contents in XML
documents are considered significant (and that effects validity of
character content), while with numeric types such as xs:integer
white-spaces are not considered significant (and that's ignored by say
an XML schema validator).

--
Regards,
Mukul Gandhi