Re: [xml-dev] XML, what to avoid

At 2010-11-15 17:09 +0100, Martin Honnen wrote:
>Max Toro wrote:
>
>>I'd like to know if there are XML technologies/practices that are best
>>avoided because there's a general consensus or empirical knowledge
>>that they are:
>>
>>- obsolete, outdated, replaced by something newer/better
>>- unimplemented, unsupported
>
>XML 1.1 certainly has no broad support I think. On Windows neither
>MSXML nor the .NET framework's XmlReader implementation support it.

I use Xerces for XML 1.1 on all platforms.

I need XML 1.1 it on this project and Saxon supports it on all platforms:

http://sportsmlt.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/sportsmlt/2.0/support/sportsmlt2-character.xsl

>In the browser world I only know of Opera supporting it, Mozilla
>doesn't, IE does not either (as it uses MSXML), I am not sure of
>Safari or Chrome but I think they use libxml and that way don't
>support XML 1.1.

Please don't write off XML 1.1 as "disposable".

--
Contact us for world-wide XML consulting & instructor-led training
Crane Softwrights Ltd.          http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/x/