RE: [xml-dev] James Clark: XML versus the Web

Rick Says -===
-----Original Message-----
From: rjelliffe [mailto:rjelliffe@allette.com.au]
Sent: Saturday, November 27, 2010 12:37 AM
To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
Subject: Re: [xml-dev] James Clark: XML versus the Web

 XML v JSON

 Does it have to be either/or, in our imagination?

 -------------

There 2 other approaches to XML "vs" JSON (there are many but here are 2 ...)

1) XML parsers in the browser.  Yes its been nagged to death but IMHO that Is the #1 reason JSON is used, because its 'trivial' to turn into Javascript objects, but not XML (in all environments).   I know people are finally giving in and accetping that "JavaScript is the VM of the Browser" (we had this argument last month).
We may not like it but it appears to be fait accompli.... So why not learn to love the bomb ?
Browser venders are not coming to the rescue so why not a JS project for converting XML to JS objects that’s as easy to use and as fas as eval(JSON) ?
It doesn’t need to  be perfect or handle All XML (IMHO).  Atleast in the space I work most in (Mobile device) people target data for Javscript apps explicitly.  On the server ...   I'd much rather chew up a complex XML doc into a simplier one then have to produce JSON to send to the client.
I've heard hints that maybe XQuery & XSLT devs  are experimenting with this.

2) Clean (possibly lossless)  XML<->JSON transformations
This is something I've been working on in my spare time.   I hope to have something of quality by next year (and hope to submit a paper to Balisage).
I was encouraged by the reception of my ad-hoc presentation this year that I'm continuing the work.  I have an early-prototype implementation working well.     I'm willing to accept that XML 'isn't wanted' on the browser even though that is what XML was intended for originally  .. it just didn’t happen.  While hoping this will change in the future,   A next-best-thing is a good clean technology for translating XML-JSON both ways and produce JSON AND XML that the respective developers would actually want to use.
When that happens, the argument could end (except for the purists).

David A. Lee
dlee@calldei.com
http://www.xmlsh.org