Re: [xml-dev] RE: James Clark: XML versus the Web

On Wed, 1 Dec 2010 16:45:04 EST
BillClare3@aol.com wrote:

> Several proposals have been made here to  integrate a variety of
> fundamental XML standards.
> Most take an approach of jamming some subset  of a disparate variety
> of standards into a common structure that maintains all  their
> idiosyncrasies and inconsistencies.

Not the source of this thread Bill, see James blog entry.

>  An alternative approach is to abstract
> from competing  specifications and generalize their essential
> substance.  This can provide simpler and more flexible foundations
> with which to rebuild higher level concepts.

JC had a target, without one you'd have 42 different definitions of
'essential'?

>  With such
> foundations,  compatibility with existing name spaces can be
> maintained but deprecated.

I'd go further and not require any full level of compatibility,
following the SGML to XML model. The goal is a cleaner smaller
better integrated subset suitable for the web/mobile/2010.
That would drop lots of Amelias hard to explain bits.

> Among these fundamental concepts for language foundations  are :
> ·         Data Types – with  nesting, inheritance, extension,
> constraints and executable methods

Is that really a required part of a new SXML? I'd put Schemas
and datatype validation as an XML application.

> ·         Data Attributes –  especially extended specifications for
> metadata, storage, communication,  presentation, dynamics, etc.
Growing XML? In which case I don't understand this item?
> ·         Data structures –  atoms, lists, hierarchies, networks
As above? How to justify making SXML more complex than XML?
Wheres the market for this?

> ·         Expressions –  arithmetic, logical, selection, iteration,
> path, set, query, etc. - with basic  and extendible types.
 Again an application? Not a part of basic SXML? Based on xpath?

I  don't understand the rest of your post in the context of JC blog.
It seems to move in the direction of XML applications more and more.

--

regards

--
Dave Pawson